Creating a Safeguarding Policy
To assist churches in formulating and operating their own policy regarding the safety of children and adults at risk a Model policy and appendices are available to download, which includes information that the Charity Commission require in a policy. It is important to note that it will need to be adapted depending on the individual circumstances of your church.
We hope that you will find this sample policy useful. If you have any questions about policy, or safeguarding generally, please contact your Synod Safeguarding Officer for support and guidance.
It is of course important to remember that a safeguarding policy alone is worthless without proper implementation and a church-wide commitment to taking safeguarding seriously
The policy is a 7 page document with a variety of appendices, as follows:
- Appendix 1 Safeguarding policy statement. This can be placed on a wall so that all who visit your church know what your principles are,
- Appendix 2 Role of church safeguarding co-ordinator.
- Appendix 3 Code of conduct,
- Appendix 4 What is abuse children,
- Appendix 5 What is abuse adults,
- Appendix 6 Signs of possible abuse children,
- Appendix 7 Signs of possible abuse adults,
- Appendix 8 Incident recording form