Below you will find links to various information files to do with aspects of synod and trust finance as well as guidance for local churches in completing financial statements.

If you have any questions please contact the Synod Treasurer or in the case of Mission and Ministry Funding please speak to your M&M Advisor, contact details are in the Synod Yearbook under your Area section.

The fund exists to enable innovative projects centred on mission to be initiated by local churches. Click below for guidance notes and an application form. The application form is also provided in Word format for electronic completion and submission.

some key questions to consider are

  • How is the local congregation involved
  • If the project involves employing someone what is the job description and how will they be manage

Enabling Grants Guidance Notes

Small enabling grant application form

Large enabling grant application form

Church Accounts and Reporting 

In 2006, the recommended practice detailed in SORP 2005, became mandatory and this determines the form church accounts should take.  Whilst the document is long, its main recommendations can be summarised in that Charities must produce Annual Accounts and usually an Annual Report. Further all accounts with a turnover (that is either income or expenditure) in excess of £10,000 and less than £250,000 MUST have an Independent Examination of the accounts. For those churches which exceed the £250,000 either for income or expenditure they must have a full audit.

For churches whose income does not exceed £100,000 a simple receipts and payments account is sufficient. Accounts do NOT need to be complex, but should show ALL income and expenditure, summarised under various headings, separated by funds which are designated, restricted or endowments. It is usual to include a comparison with the previous year. There should also be a statement of assets and liabilities. Assets include cash, bank accounts, deposit accounts, buildings and investments and any submitted tax claims. Liabilities include any loans or other future commitments (e.g. special Christmas collections not yet forwarded).

For churches whose income exceeds £100,000 you must use an accrual based accounting system and report. This means that you need to take into account whether a receipt or payment is wholly or partly related to the year of report, and if not, take appropriate account of the share related to the accounting year. In this case a statement of Financial Activities must be prepared, alongside a balance sheet which lists all assets and liabilities.

For general advice and guidance download the Accounts Guidance notes.  There are downloads giving worked examples and pro forma for both Full Accrual Accounts and for simpler Receipts/Payments Accounts.  For guidance on The Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme (“GASDS”) there also a download giving important information for Church Treasurers and Finance Committees.

Other Finance Forms

Expenses claim View or download Explanatory Notes for expenses claims     Download Expenses claim form (WORD)

How does the Trust work?  Download  A guide to Trust finance

Download Frequently Asked Questions – explaining how the M&M assessment works M&M Frequently Asked Questions

Charity Registration Guidance for registration application (large document takes a little while to load)

Car Loans  Car loans request form (WORD)

Worship and Preaching fees and expenses A Guide to Worship & Preaching fees and expenses